Super Nuke Bros. Forum

The forum of the highly anticipated Flash game "Super Nuke Bros. Melee".
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 CHARACTER IDEA!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
fawx
Neutral Nuke Brother
avatar

Male Number of posts : 8
Age : 22
Location : oregon
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: CHARACTER IDEA!   Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:28 pm

we should have like some of the cool kids on this forum as unlockable characters. i made this thread so um ye im in by default Cool .

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fawx.newgrounds.com/
TaroNuke
Admin
Admin
avatar

Male Number of posts : 220
Age : 26
Location : England
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Remember you have to think how the fans would react to such characters,
the general reaction to inclusion of "made up" or "fan" characters is hatred :(
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://supernukebros.moonfruit.com
BlastNuke
Neutral Nuke Brother
avatar

Male Number of posts : 30
Age : 26
Location : New York
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:50 pm

Taro is right. Though they hate it more when the characters are fan-made from other franchises.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://klonoawarrior.deviantart.com/
jnightmare
Neutral Nuke Brother
avatar

Male Number of posts : 11
Location : lost....
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:22 am

i think it would be cool if you could make miis to play as in snbm they would be lots of fun =]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
8sidedcircle
Neutral Nuke Brother
avatar

Male Number of posts : 3
Age : 24
Location : SCOTLAND
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:26 pm

TaroNuke wrote:
Remember you have to think how the fans would react to such characters,
the general reaction to inclusion of "made up" or "fan" characters is hatred :(

Taro is WRONG. We need MORE original characters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.7sidedcircle.deviantart.com
Callum Stamp
Admin
Admin
avatar

Male Number of posts : 570
Age : 26
Location : The Netherlands
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:30 pm

Fan characters will be rejected most. I don't think having them is too good of an idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://supernukebros.omgforum.net
Hoeloe
Admin
Admin
avatar

Male Number of posts : 354
Age : 24
Location : UK, Harrogate
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:58 pm

Callum Stamp wrote:
Fan characters will be rejected most. I don't think having them is too good of an idea.

Still, both Taro and I agree that we should at least have some original characters in there (after all, that was one of the original purposes of this game when it was first dreamed up about 3 years ago or something), but if any are going to be included, we already have a list of them, so I wouldn't suggest any more fan characters, as they have a 99% chance of being refused.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://supernukebros.moonfruit.com/
Callum Stamp
Admin
Admin
avatar

Male Number of posts : 570
Age : 26
Location : The Netherlands
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:00 pm

Hoeloe wrote:
Callum Stamp wrote:
Fan characters will be rejected most. I don't think having them is too good of an idea.

Still, both Taro and I agree that we should at least have some original characters in there (after all, that was one of the original purposes of this game when it was first dreamed up about 3 years ago or something), but if any are going to be included, we already have a list of them, so I wouldn't suggest any more fan characters, as they have a 99% chance of being refused.

Yes, the character list so far indeed includes Origional Characters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://supernukebros.omgforum.net
BlastNuke
Neutral Nuke Brother
avatar

Male Number of posts : 30
Age : 26
Location : New York
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:19 pm

Hoeloe wrote:
Callum Stamp wrote:
Fan characters will be rejected most. I don't think having them is too good of an idea.

Still, both Taro and I agree that we should at least have some original characters in there (after all, that was one of the original purposes of this game when it was first dreamed up about 3 years ago or something), but if any are going to be included, we already have a list of them, so I wouldn't suggest any more fan characters, as they have a 99% chance of being refused.

I didn't think having OCs in the game was a bad idea either, since some of them really interested me. (e.g. Toshi and Natsuko), but because of the fanboys out there that are getting pissed because their characters from Brawl or Melee weren't in the game, a lot of them had to be cut.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://klonoawarrior.deviantart.com/
fawx
Neutral Nuke Brother
avatar

Male Number of posts : 8
Age : 22
Location : oregon
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:19 pm

Callum Stamp wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:
Callum Stamp wrote:
Fan characters will be rejected most. I don't think having them is too good of an idea.

Still, both Taro and I agree that we should at least have some original characters in there (after all, that was one of the original purposes of this game when it was first dreamed up about 3 years ago or something), but if any are going to be included, we already have a list of them, so I wouldn't suggest any more fan characters, as they have a 99% chance of being refused.

Yes, the character list so far indeed includes Origional Characters.

characters that arent from a video-game?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fawx.newgrounds.com/
jnightmare
Neutral Nuke Brother
avatar

Male Number of posts : 11
Location : lost....
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:07 am

How bout like callum or someone is a boss?
You get an original character and its easy on the animator (fewer moves to do)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Callum Stamp
Admin
Admin
avatar

Male Number of posts : 570
Age : 26
Location : The Netherlands
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:14 am

jnightmare wrote:
How bout like callum or someone is a boss?
You get an original character and its easy on the animator (fewer moves to do)

Callum DOES seem like an awesome character.

Awesome
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://supernukebros.omgforum.net
Hatakraa
Neutral Nuke Brother
avatar

Male Number of posts : 20
Age : 26
Location : In the kitchen with Dina
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:54 am

I agree, Callum should be a character. That would make for a very interesting battle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flying Dutchman
Furious Fighter
Furious Fighter
avatar

Male Number of posts : 135
Age : 26
Location : Netherlands
Registration date : 2009-02-22

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:26 am

Original and/or fan characters is pretty much the worst thing to do. It's what killed Smash Flash.

Well, besides the whacky engine, bad graphics, dumb character choices and... everything about that game, that is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fdsama.deviantart.com
Hoeloe
Admin
Admin
avatar

Male Number of posts : 354
Age : 24
Location : UK, Harrogate
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:14 am

Flying Dutchman wrote:
Original and/or fan characters is pretty much the worst thing to do. It's what killed Smash Flash.

From what I recall, Smash Flash only used sprites, and so couldn't use any original characters... I never finished it so I may be wrong...

And besides, original characters will work as long as they aren't used for the majority of the roster. With only a few original characters, they shouldn't ruin the game. Whereas Super Smash Flash was filled with useless characters like Super Sonic, and not good character choices. We won't make that mistake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://supernukebros.moonfruit.com/
Flying Dutchman
Furious Fighter
Furious Fighter
avatar

Male Number of posts : 135
Age : 26
Location : Netherlands
Registration date : 2009-02-22

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:18 am

Hoeloe wrote:
From what I recall, Smash Flash only used sprites, and so couldn't use any original characters... I never finished it so I may be wrong...

Smash Flash used edited sprites. Original characters or fan characters will surely haunt away a big part of the people who want to play this, it will look noobish and bad, not to mention it will convey an image saying "Hey guys, we're good enough to be in Smash". There's just no justification for it, like with tripping in Brawl. No matter what excuse you might think of, it's just a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fdsama.deviantart.com
Hoeloe
Admin
Admin
avatar

Male Number of posts : 354
Age : 24
Location : UK, Harrogate
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:02 am

Flying Dutchman wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:
From what I recall, Smash Flash only used sprites, and so couldn't use any original characters... I never finished it so I may be wrong...

Smash Flash used edited sprites. Original characters or fan characters will surely haunt away a big part of the people who want to play this, it will look noobish and bad, not to mention it will convey an image saying "Hey guys, we're good enough to be in Smash". There's just no justification for it, like with tripping in Brawl. No matter what excuse you might think of, it's just a bad idea.

It really isn't. It becomes n00bish when you push other characters from the roster to fit in fan characters, but if you just add maybe 4 or 5 onto the roster, without losing any characters that people know, it works.

That and some people actually like seeing original characters in there. Usually, original characters work better than fan characters though...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://supernukebros.moonfruit.com/
Callum Stamp
Admin
Admin
avatar

Male Number of posts : 570
Age : 26
Location : The Netherlands
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:05 am

Hoeloe wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:
From what I recall, Smash Flash only used sprites, and so couldn't use any original characters... I never finished it so I may be wrong...

Smash Flash used edited sprites. Original characters or fan characters will surely haunt away a big part of the people who want to play this, it will look noobish and bad, not to mention it will convey an image saying "Hey guys, we're good enough to be in Smash". There's just no justification for it, like with tripping in Brawl. No matter what excuse you might think of, it's just a bad idea.

It really isn't. It becomes n00bish when you push other characters from the roster to fit in fan characters, but if you just add maybe 4 or 5 onto the roster, without losing any characters that people know, it works.

That and some people actually like seeing original characters in there. Usually, original characters work better than fan characters though...

When you're directing a game yourself it becomes easy to say what's in and what's not, but you have to know the boundries of the aspect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://supernukebros.omgforum.net
Flying Dutchman
Furious Fighter
Furious Fighter
avatar

Male Number of posts : 135
Age : 26
Location : Netherlands
Registration date : 2009-02-22

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 am

Hoeloe wrote:
It really isn't. It becomes n00bish when you push other characters from the roster to fit in fan characters, but if you just add maybe 4 or 5 onto the roster, without losing any characters that people know, it works.

That and some people actually like seeing original characters in there. Usually, original characters work better than fan characters though...

There's one more thing you're forgetting about original characters: they might not remove anybody, but they don't really add anything.

One really important aspect of Smash Bros. is playing with characters you know and love, seeing them from their original games or whatnot duking it out on the field. Smash Bros. embodies our childhood dreams where Mario took it out against Sonic. Putting in original characters will have none of the nostalgia, sentiment or whatever you might feel.

Not to mention it will feel like a huge stab in the back for the fans: even though nobody was removed, people will think that. A lot of people thought the clones in Melee were useless and prevented better characters from getting in. Even though this was not the case, people still felt that way. After it got known that the clones were added afterwards, a lot of people still felt that these characters barred the way for other possible characters that they really had a connection with, rather than original characters that they simply do not value whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fdsama.deviantart.com
Hoeloe
Admin
Admin
avatar

Male Number of posts : 354
Age : 24
Location : UK, Harrogate
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:43 am

Flying Dutchman wrote:
Lots of stuff

A thing to remember is that fan characters and original characters are different things. An example of a fan character is a recolour of Sonic. No-one wants to see Sonic in red running around posing as a new character. However, original characters are characters created by the staff based on no series that came before. For example, Callum is an original character. I use him as an example because he has actually had support as a playable character on this forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://supernukebros.moonfruit.com/
Flying Dutchman
Furious Fighter
Furious Fighter
avatar

Male Number of posts : 135
Age : 26
Location : Netherlands
Registration date : 2009-02-22

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:10 am

Hoeloe wrote:
A thing to remember is that fan characters and original characters are different things. An example of a fan character is a recolour of Sonic. No-one wants to see Sonic in red running around posing as a new character. However, original characters are characters created by the staff based on no series that came before. For example, Callum is an original character. I use him as an example because he has actually had support as a playable character on this forum.

Your vision of a fan character is very cloudy, but alas. No, we do not want fan characters, no we do not want an original character simply because:

1. There is no connection with the character for most.
2. It's a backstab for those who wanted a different character.
3. It's an egotistical streak saying "We/Our characters are cool enough to be in Smash."

Callum is a horrible example because 'support' apparently means that 3 people like an idea. If you want to make a game with original characters in it... Then make a different game. Not a "Smash Bros fangame/new experience but WHOOPS we want exposure for our own characters".

Honestly though, a game like this with original characters would rock my socks off and I would love it, but this is an entirely different type of project altogether.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fdsama.deviantart.com
Callum Stamp
Admin
Admin
avatar

Male Number of posts : 570
Age : 26
Location : The Netherlands
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:16 am

I don't think Marth and Roy we're sentimental to anyone in Melee, nor is ROB really in Brawl.
In the end, it all comes down to having different variations of fighting techniques. If an origional
character can deliver something that a Smash character can't, I'd say it's a safe bet we'd
discuss inclusion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://supernukebros.omgforum.net
Flying Dutchman
Furious Fighter
Furious Fighter
avatar

Male Number of posts : 135
Age : 26
Location : Netherlands
Registration date : 2009-02-22

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:41 am

Callum Stamp wrote:
I don't think Marth and Roy we're sentimental to anyone in Melee, nor is ROB really in Brawl.
In the end, it all comes down to having different variations of fighting techniques. If an origional
character can deliver something that a Smash character can't, I'd say it's a safe bet we'd
discuss inclusion.

Well, Roy was just advertisement because Nintendo is a company. Marth had sentimental value for a lot of Japanese people, so don't just say that. It's a different market. And, I really LOVED R.O.B. and played with it at my friend's house all the time. A lot of people I know played with or have at least heard of the character prior to Smash Bros.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fdsama.deviantart.com
Callum Stamp
Admin
Admin
avatar

Male Number of posts : 570
Age : 26
Location : The Netherlands
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Flying Dutchman wrote:
Callum Stamp wrote:
I don't think Marth and Roy we're sentimental to anyone in Melee, nor is ROB really in Brawl.
In the end, it all comes down to having different variations of fighting techniques. If an origional
character can deliver something that a Smash character can't, I'd say it's a safe bet we'd
discuss inclusion.

Well, Roy was just advertisement because Nintendo is a company. Marth had sentimental value for a lot of Japanese people, so don't just say that. It's a different market. And, I really LOVED R.O.B. and played with it at my friend's house all the time. A lot of people I know played with or have at least heard of the character prior to Smash Bros.
People know ME, so I guess that puts it in the same light, won't you agree?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://supernukebros.omgforum.net
Flying Dutchman
Furious Fighter
Furious Fighter
avatar

Male Number of posts : 135
Age : 26
Location : Netherlands
Registration date : 2009-02-22

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:45 pm

Callum Stamp wrote:
People know ME, so I guess that puts it in the same light, won't you agree?

But I've never used you to defeat gigantic fire-breathing turtles, taking down an evil king, used you to spin some Gyro's nor have I trained you in a magical world where you stuff animals into balls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fdsama.deviantart.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER IDEA!   

Back to top Go down
 
CHARACTER IDEA!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Similar topics
-
» character idea - whips
» Dark Ages Character Inspiration
» Warmachine Character Jack Updgrade Kits
» Fallen blood angels army Idea
» move character to another realm - Yes, you can.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Super Nuke Bros. Forum :: Character Discussion-
Jump to: